Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration #1) Review

Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)**2.5 stars**
August 24, 2012
Paperback Edition

I think this book was just a little too far out there for me.  The concept was very good and I give the author points for originality (romance between living and undead? When has that happened before?) but I just couldn't get into the story as much as I would have liked.  I did like the "ethics" presented in the book on whether all zombies should be exterminated or if some should be given a chance for another life, even if it is an undead life.  I still don't understand how some turn violent and some are still essentially normally functioning humans.  The explanation of prions causing the disease rather than a virus is by far the more believable reason for the walking dead that I have heard.  I wouldn't put it past those nasty little proteins to do something like that.

I finally realized that I am not a fan of changing narrative during books.  One or two different POVs is fine, but not four or more.  I just get far to confused as to who is speaking and what their personality is supposed to be like.  Pamela was really the only character I thought had a different voice; the others all sounded the same to me.  And when I wasn't in Nora's POV, I disliked her.  Her narrative presents her as a "strong" female who doesn't take no for an answer and will do rash things.  But the other characters seemed to always present her as just a tiny little flirt who primarily cared for herself.  I couldn't keep up on whether I liked her or hated her.

The romance.  I would like to say this first: GROSS.  I'm sorry, but the romance just didn't do anything for me.  She was in love with a CORPSE.  She kissed cold, dead, decaying lips and liked it (Katy Perry, I dare you to sing about that).  I think this is really the main reason I took off a half star and am stating my opinion as "ok."  I just... *shudder*.  Anyway, I won't be continuing the series since I didn't fall in love with the characters or the story.  I might recommend for those who like a little weirdness in their books, but not very highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment